- The role of IL-25 and IL-25 receptor interaction during homeostasis and helminth infection.
- The role of type-2 immune responses in mediating pathogenesis of Cryptococcus infection.
- Virulence of C. neoformans and C. gattii and their immune responses.
The main focus of our research is to understand the cellular and molecular mechanisms by which type-2 immune responses contribute to tissue homeostasis, protective immunity to helminth infection and to the pathogenesis of fungal infection. We are currently investigate the role of type-2 innate lymphoid cells and Th2 cells to understand cellular and molecular mechanisms by which host promotes immunity to Cryptococcus infection and the contribution of host-fungal interaction in disease pathogenesis. To accomplish these objectives we are currently using the combination of techniques in cellular and molecular immunology, protein chemistry, molecular biology, tissue culture and mouse immunology. Understanding and identifying the specific events that occur during host-pathogen interaction will aid our understanding of how these pathways are integrated, regulated, and function. This will help in the identification or treatment of different pathology resulting from alterations in these pathways.
- Angkasekwinai P*. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep (2019) 19: 29. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11882-019-0860-8 (Impact factor 2017= 3.449)
- Hansakon A, Mutthakalin P, Ngamskulrungroj P, Chayakulkeeree M, Angkasekwinai P*.Cryptococcus neoformans and Cryptococcus gattii clinical isolates from Thailand display diverse phenotypic interactions with macrophages. Virulence 2018 Accepted author version posted online: 06 Dec 2018. https://doi.org/10.1080/21505594.2018.1556150 (*Corresponding author) (Supported by the fiscal year budget of the office of the National Research Council of Thailand to Thammasat University) (Impact factor 2017= 3.947)
- Praengam K, Sahasakul Y, Kupradinun P, Sakarin S, Sanitchua W, Rungsipipat A, Rattanapinyopituk K, Angkasekwinai P, Changsri K, Mhuantong W, Tangphatsornruang S, Tuntipopipat S. Brown rice and retrograded brown rice alleviate inflammatory response in dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)-induced colitis mice. Food Funct. 2017 Dec 13;8(12):4630-4643. doi: 10.1039/c7fo00305f. (Impact factor 2017= 3.289)
- Angkasekwinai P*, Sodthawon W, Jeerawattanawart S, Hansakon A, Pattanapanyasat K, Wang YH. ILC2s activated by IL-25 promote antigen-specific Th2 and Th9 functions that contribute to the control of Trichinella spiralis PLoS One (2017) Sep 12;12(9):e0184684. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0184684. eCollection 2017. (Supported by Thailand Research Fund and Thammasat University) (*Corresponding author) (Supported by TRF and Thammasat University) (Impact factor 2017= 2.806)
- Angkasekwinai P*. Allergic Inflammation and Atopic Disease: Role of Th9 Cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2017; 1585:189-199. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-6877-0_15. (*Corresponding author)
- Lee JB1,Chen CY, Liu B, Mugge L, Angkasekwinai P, Facchinetti V, Dong C, Liu YJ, Rothenberg ME, Hogan SP, Finkelman FD, Wang YH. IL-25 and CD4+ TH2 cells enhance type 2 innate lymphoid cell-derived IL-13 production, which promotes IgE-mediated experimental food allergy. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2016 Apr; 137(4):1216-1225.e5. (impact factor 2014=11.48)
- Wanichada Arnant, Metha Apiwattanakul and Pornpimon Angkasekwinai*. Performance of Aquaporin-4 Antibody Assays for Diagnostic Distinction of NMO Spectrum Disorders in Thailand. J Med Tech Assoc Thailand, Vol. 44 No. 1, April 2016. (TCI group 1) (*Corresponding author)
- Supasorn O, Sringkarin N, Srimanote P,Angkasekwinai P*. Matrix metalloproteinases contributes to the regulation of chemokine expression and pulmonary inflammation in Cryptococcus infection. Clinical and Experimental Immunology 2016 Mar;183(3):431-40. (impact factor 2016=3.41) (*Corresponding author) (Supported by Thammasat University Grant, Thailand)
- Reynolds JM, Lee YH, Shi Y, Wang X, Angkasekwinai P, Nallaparaju KC, Flaherty S, Chang SH, Watarai H, Dong C, Interleukin-17B Antagonizes Interleukin-25-Mediated Mucosal Inflammation. Immunity 2015 Apr 21;42(4):692-703. (impact factor 2015=24.082)
- P Angkasekwinai*, N. Sringkarin, O. Supasorn, M. Fungkrajai, YH. Wang, M. Chayakulkeeree, P. Ngamskulrungroj, N. Angkasekwinai, and K. Pattanapanyasat. Cryptococcus gattii infection dampens Th1 and Th17 responses by attenuating dendritic cell function and pulmonary chemokine expression in the immunocompetent hosts.. Infection and Immunity 2014, Vol 82 (9) September p. 3880-3890 (impact factor 2013=4.156) (*Corresponding author) (Supported by NSTDA, Thailand)
- P. Angkasekwinai*, P. Srimanote, YH. Wang, Y. Sakolvaree, K. Pattanapanyasat, W. Chaicumpa, S. Chaiyaroj, and C. Dong. IL-25 promotes efficient protective immunity against T. spiralis infection by enhancing antigen-specific IL-9 response. Infection and Immunity. 2013 Oct;81(10):3731-41. doi: 10.1128/IAI.00646-13. Epub 2013 Jul 29. (*Corresponding author) (Supported by TRF and CHE, Thailand) (Impact factor 2012= 4.074)
- T. Van Nguyen, P. Angkasekwinai, H. Dou, FM. Lin, LS. Lu, J. Cheng, YE. Chin, C. Dong, ET. Yeh. SUMO-Specific Protease 1 Is Critical for Early Lymphoid Development through Regulation of STAT5 Activation. Molecular Cell. 2012 Jan 27; 45(2):210-21. (Impact factor 2012= 15.28)
- JS. Siegle, N. Hansbro, C. Dong, P. Angkasekwinai, PS. Foster, RK. Kumar. Blocking induction of T helper type 2 responses prevents development of disease in a model of childhood asthma. Clin Exp Immunol. 2011 Jul; 165(1):19-28. (Impact factor 2012= 3.4)
- X. Zhang, P. Angkasekwinai*, C. Dong, H. Tang. Structure and function of interleukin-17 family cytokines. Protein Cell. 2011 Jan;2(1):26-40. Epub 2011 Feb 20. (*Co-First author).
- JM. Reynolds, P. Angkasekwinai*, C. Dong. IL-17 family member cytokines: regulation and function in innate immunity. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2010 Dec;21(6):413-23. Epub 2010 Nov 11. (*Co-First author) (Impact factor 2012= 8.8)
- GE. Kaiko, S. Phipps, P. Angkasekwinai, C. Dong, and PS. Foster. NK Cell deficiency predisposes to viral-induced Th2-type allergic inflammation via epithelial-derived IL-25. Journal of Immunology 2010 Sep 20. (Epub ahead of print) (Impact factor 2012= 5.5)
- HS. Yu, P. Angkasekwinai, SH. Chang, YS. Chung, and C.Dong. Protease Allergens Induce the Expression of IL-25 via Erk and p38 MAPK Pathway. Journal of Korean Medical Science 2010; 25 (6): 829-34. (Impact factor 2012= 0.8)
- P. Angkasekwinai, S.H.Chang, M.Thapa, H.Watarai, C.Dong. Regulation of IL-9 expression by IL-25 signaling. Nature Immunology 2010; 11(3):250-6. (Impact factor 2012= 26)
- X.O. Yang, P.Angkasekwinai, J.Zhu, J.Peng, Z.Liu, R. Nurieva, X.Liu, Y. Chung, S.H.Chang, B.Sun & C.Dong. Requirement for the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor Dec2 in initial TH2 lineage commitment. Nature Immunology 2009; 10 (12): 1260 – 1266. (Impact factor 2012= 26)
- S. Goswami, P. Angkasekwinai, M. Shan, K. J Greenlee, W. T Barranco, S. Polikepahad, A. Seryshev, Li-zhen Song, D. Redding, B. Singh, S. Sur, P. Woodruff, C. Dong, D.B Corry & F. Kheradmand. Divergent functions for airway epithelial matrix metalloproteinase 7 and retinoic acid in experimental asthma. Nature Immunology 2009; 10 (5): 496-503. (Impact factor 2012= 26)
- B.P. Pappu, P. Angkasekwinai and C. Dong. Regulatory mechanisms of helper T cell differentiation-New lessons learned from interleukin 17 family cytokines. Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2008; 117(3): 374-384. (Impact factor 2012= 7.79)
- P. Angkasekwinai, H. Park, Y.-H. Wang, Y. Wang, S. H. Chang, D. B. Corry, Y-J. Liu, Z. Zhu, and C. Dong. Interleukin 25 promotes the initiation of proallergic type 2 responses. The Journal of Experimental Medicine 2007; 204(7): 1509-1517. (Impact factor 2012= 13.2)
- Y-H. Wang, P. Angkasekwinai, N. Lu, K. S. Voo, K. Arima, S. Hanabuchi, A. Hippe, C. J. Corrigan, C. Dong, B. Homey, Z. Yao, S. Ying, D. P. Huston, and Y-J. Liu. IL-25 augments type 2 immune responses by enhancing the expansion and functions of TSLP-DC–activated Th2 memory cells. The Journal of Experimental Medicine 2007; 204(8): 1837-1847. (Impact factor 2012= 13.2).
- S. Chaisavaneeyakorn, P. Kongtawelert, P. Angkasekwinai, R. MacGready, F. Nosten, S. Chaiyaroj. Inhibitory activities of sulfated proteoglycans on chondroitin sulfate A-mediated cytoadherence of Plasmodium Falciparum isolates from Thailand. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2004; 70(2): 149-157.
- S. Biswas, A. Escalante, S. Chaiyaroj, P. Angkasekwinai, A. Lal. Prevalence of point mutations in the dihydrofolate reductase and dihydropteroate synthetase genes of Plasmodium falciparum isolates from India and Thailand: a molecular epidemiologic study. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2000; 5(10): 737-743.
- Chaiyaroj SC, A. Buranakiti, Angkasekwinai, S.Looresuwan, AF.Cowman. Analysis of mefloquine resistance and amplification of pfmdr1 in multidrug-resistant Plasmodium falciparum isolates from Thailand. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1999; 61(5): 780-783.
- P. Angkasekwinai, S. Looresuwan, S. Chaiyaroj. Lack of significant association between rosette formation and parasitized erythrocyte adherence to purified CD36. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 1998; 29(1): 41-45.
- S. Chaiyaroj, P. Angkasekwinai, A. Buranakiti, S. Looresuwan, SJ. Rogerson, GV. Brown. Cytoadherence characteristics of Plasmodium falciparum isolates from Thailand: evidence for chondroitin sulfate A as a cytoadherence receptor. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1996; 55(1): 76-80.
- Angkasekwinai P*. Allergic Inflammation and Atopic Disease: Role of Th9 Cells. Series Th9 cells: Methods and Protocols, Methods in Molecular Biology, Publisher: Humana Press; 1st ed. 2017 edition (May 5, 2017)
2018: Oral presentation, “Modulation of host innate and adaptive immune response by Cryptococcus infection”, Session “Integrated approaches for overcoming infectious diseases” The 2018 international convention of the pharmaceutical society of Korea October 17-10, 2018, Jeju island, Republic of Korea.
2018: Oral presentation, The Integrated innate and adaptive type 2 immune response in inflammation and immunity, The 35th annual meeting of The Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Association of Thailand “Practical Trends in Allergy and Immunology 2018”
2017: Oral Presentation, The role of IL-25 in mediating protective immunity against T. spiralis infection, Department of Microbiology & Immunology Programme, National University of Singapore
2016: Oral presentation, The 16th International Congress of Immunology 2016 Melbourne, Australia.
2015: Poster presentation, The IMMUNOLOGY 2015™ New Orleans, LA, USA.
2013: Poster presentation, The 15th International Congress of Immunology, Milan, Italy.
2012: Poster presentation, American Association of Immunologists Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. USA.
2010: Oral and Poster presentation, 14th International Congress of Immunology, Kobe, Japan.
2009: Poster Presentation and Meeting Assistant, Keystone Symposium Conference for “TH17 Cells in Health and Disease” Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
2008: Poster Presentation, The NIH National Graduate Student Research Festival, Bethesda, MD. USA.
2007: Poster Presentation, 15th Annual Meeting of The International Cytokine Society, San Francisco, CA. USA.
2007: Poster Presentation, Center for Cancer Immunology Research, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX. USA.
2007: Poster Presentation, American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, Immunology, San Diego, CA. USA.
2006: Poster Presentation, RIKEN Research Center for Allergy and Immunology International Student Program, Yokohama, Japan.
2006: Poster Presentation, American Association of Immunologists Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. USA.